La galette des rois

We are eating again. It is tradition here in early January. Galette des rois, literally cake of kings.. It is eaten as the twelth night cake. I got the féve (lucky charm) in my slice, so the crown that accompanies the cake, belongs to me. I am queen. And I have chosen my king. And I have to buy the next cake.Traditionally the youngest member around the table has to direct to whom each slice has to go, but since we were only two (and I’m the youngest), I just simply divided the cake in two(!!). Read more about the tradition of Galette des Rois. Different regions have different cakes. Towards the South it is more a brioche with a sugar topping and towards the north it is puff pastry with an almond paste filling. Now we are REALLY done with eating.

Watercolour and ink in moleskine.

galette-des-rois.jpg

1. Sounds like a scrumptuous cake! Aren’t you glad the charm doesn’t seem to mean “fertility,” any more?!! ;0

January 3, 2008 at 11:44 pm

FABULOUS — what time is lunch???????? What an awesome looking cake!!! Makes me drool!

January 4, 2008 at 12:06 am

3. luci

The cake looked really delicious! Congratulations on being the Queen, I wish I can see you with your crown. I can’t stop giggling over Brenda’s comment.

January 4, 2008 at 12:45 am

4. Bec

Congrats to the Queen! Cake looks WOnDerFul!!

January 4, 2008 at 1:24 am

5. So the Queen has her cake and eats it too! I’m alone for several days, if I make such a cake I would have to eat it all by myself…hummm that would guarantee me Queen wouldn’t it? Lovely painting!

January 4, 2008 at 3:35 am

6. You started early. At work (I am at Lyon) we will start on Monday. I love those cakes…

January 4, 2008 at 7:42 am

7. juj

We always do a King’s cake for Mardi Gras – such fun. Yours looks delicious – LOVE those rich colors. Beautiful!

January 4, 2008 at 5:25 pm

8. I love the ‘cake for two’ approach. Beautifully painted. Is there an illustrated recipe book in the works?

January 5, 2008 at 2:03 pm

9. sandy

All Hail the Queen!! Yummy Cake and half sounds about right to me 😉

January 5, 2008 at 9:04 pm

10. Wow – this came out beautifully. I can practically taste the frangipane….

January 7, 2008 at 4:31 pm

11. Lucky you, you got the fève!
    Gosh it’s one of the things i miss about France. Your painting makes the galette instantly recognizable. Like Casey, i can almost taste the frangipane!

January 16, 2008 at 4:45 am