Root vegetables in watercolor

My mojo has left me since October/November last year with absolutely just no desire to put pen to paper or a brush to the canvas. The intention was there, many a time, but the execution didn’t happen. It was that typical staring at a blank page, at a blank canvas and realizing that even the mind was blank. So what does that say about ignoring inspiration or mood and just get on with it, regarding art as a job that needs to be done. I don’t have the answer. I can only say that if it were my job and I worked for a boss, I would’ve probably been fired.

Rutabagas, turnips and beetroot.

sketches in watercolor and pen in Arches watercolorbook HP, 18x26cm

rutabagas et navet

I even went to see a Picasso exhibit, trying to find the desire to paint, but to no avail. No desire. No wanting it. I had a faint glimpse of my old desire today when I picked up a rutabaga(swede) for dinner tonight. I looked at it and thought by myself that it was a vegetable I haven’t sketched yet and I wondered why… a trigger as simple as that. Not that I am now suddenly overcome with desire to splash the paints, not at all. On the contrary. I wonder what o do tomorrow. But I am grateful for at least having a sketch done today, before January runs out. Tomorrow’s day will have to see to itself.

à bientôt

Ronell

1. These are wonderful. I might have a go myself at the weekend. I tried doing a pastel of a celeriac – all those off-whites and creams and yellows – earlier this week but that didn’t work. Yours are inspiring, however.

January 29, 2016 at 6:30 pm

• Thank you Michael…keep going at that celeriac. Whites and creams are difficult, but such good exercise. Keep going!
      Ronell

February 1, 2016 at 7:35 pm

2. Ronelle, your post is so timely and I really identify with it especially today. It’s been well over a year since I’ve been picked up a paint brush or posted on my blog which is all but dead. Life transitions like moving and retirement have zapped my inspiration. One of my favorite artists, Bill Creevy says when emotional blocks and barriers set in just keep on drawing daily even if it’s a small sketch. Easier said than done for me.

January 29, 2016 at 7:55 pm

• Christine, everybody always say..just do it, do this or do that. but in the end, we have find that muse opurselves. Sometimes we just need to be patient. hope your muse finds you soon.
      ronell

February 1, 2016 at 7:34 pm

3. Marcia

So glad you are back, even for today. I really enjoy seeing your work…there’s always a lot of energy in it. Thank you.

January 29, 2016 at 8:14 pm

• Thank you, such a nice compliment, Marcia.
      Ronell

February 1, 2016 at 7:23 pm

4. I’ve lost you from my reading list. Apparently Blogger is moving everyone who is not on Google. So I’ve become an email follower. As I was looking for inspiration to get back into painting, Thank goodness I checked you blog, you make me feel ”Not so bad after all ”
    I went shopping yesterday & the art shop I went to had a 20% discount on Sennelier aquarelle paints , ( I’ve never used them before ) but couldn’t resist buying a few new colours and a new sketch book.. I too have a blank mind what to paint, I’m hoping this means I’m getting my drive back, to begin painting is coming back. I always Love your veggie sketches, and this one shows you are back into your lovely style. I bought celeriac so that could be a start.( Your follower Michael Richards mentioned this )
    Enjoy your weekend.

January 30, 2016 at 10:50 am

• Thank you Barbara…yes I follow by email too, lmuch easier. Hope you have done your celriac by now?
      Ronell

February 1, 2016 at 7:22 pm

5. Toujours en amour avec ce que tu fais..
    je suis dans mon atelier et je revois les tiens..une vie comme dans une des plus belles revues du monde:)

January 30, 2016 at 3:03 pm

• Merci Monique…que tu es gentille! tu fais du bon travail aussi!
      Ronelle

February 1, 2016 at 7:21 pm

6. Pingback: Imperfect | A Certain Line

7. Got here from Michael’s post… new follower

February 2, 2016 at 8:48 pm

• thank you David..welcome…hope you enjoy..
      ronell