Quietude with Rodin

When walking around in Paris the other day with a few hours on my hand to kill, I passed by the Museé Rodin and seeing I haven’t been for years, I thought a visit would be worth it.  After a while I felt the quiet and calm so inspiring that I only attempted 2 sketches. The rest of my time was spent just enjoying. The gardens are so beautiful and it is worth it to spend the entrance fee only for a coffee at the garden retaurant, walking the grounds, watching the gardeners fiddle in the beds and simply devoting yourself to the quietude on a garden bench . Sometimes being calm and serene in the presence of greatness teaches you loads more than being frantically busy absorbing!

I appreciate the quiet of art. It doesn’t have to boast, “turn up it’s volume”, or shout out its impact to attract attention, Good art just stands quietly on it’s own podium, much like Rodin’s sculptures. We have to only look at it closely to discover it’s hidden charisma and lively spirit.

The morning spent in the presence of Rodin inpired me to try some new directions one of which is sculpture…I was once(as a child..) VERY good at sandcastle building…even won a prize! Who knows, this might just be my real calling? But for now, here are my attempts at sketches of Rodin’s quiet, but magnificent sculptures…

Done in moleskine with pen.

1. flyingpictures

I loved the Musee Rodin – especially his drawings and the half done sculptures, where fine skin and flowing hair was appearing out of rough slabs of rock.

Vivien

October 4, 2008 at 8:11 pm

2. I bet sculpture would suit you very well, Ronell. There is a lot to be said for getting into the third dimension.

I’ve never been to the Musee Rodin – it’s on the list though! It’s lovely to imagine you sitting there quietly sketching.

October 5, 2008 at 10:14 am

3. Can I just say how much I want to start of a post with “When walking around in Paris the other day…” More likely to be seen on my blog : “When walking around Walmart the other day…” 🙂 I love it! Thank you for taking me on your walks!

October 5, 2008 at 4:13 pm

There’s nothing like a park and garden for a quiet moment,
    and sharing it with Rodin must turn it into a meditation. With a few lines of your pen, we’re there, too. I thank you, along with the others, for taking us there.

October 5, 2008 at 4:59 pm

Rodin should have liked to see them.

October 5, 2008 at 6:13 pm

6. I like your descriptions of art and how it soothes the soul–how very true! When I travel to Stanford University, I always head to their RODIN sculpture garden–it’s the thing I look forward to the most. Your sketches here are wonderful! You’re brave to take up sculpting! Wow–I’d love to see that!

October 5, 2008 at 7:31 pm

7. Enjoy the quiet…best of luck to you Ronell with your sculpture! BUT, please keep showing us your wonderful sketches too.

October 6, 2008 at 2:16 am

8. It is a blessing to experience art through your eyes! These studies are great. I wish I was there exploring Rodin with you.

October 6, 2008 at 7:35 am

9. Lately art has been shouting at me. I envy your quiet day at le museé Rodin; I felt that same peace when I visited there a few years ago. I am excited for you to try sculpture! I might one day have to do my art by feel rather than sight…..so you might have some competition there! LOL, not really. Seems barely a year ago that I had such a wonderful day with you and Casey in Paris. It would have been nice to wander the gardens with you. I’ve missed you!

October 7, 2008 at 8:56 pm

10. caseytoussaint

Sounds like a wonderful couple of hours, and I really like what you’ve done. I think we learn a lot when we draw other people’s art, especially a master like Rodin.

October 8, 2008 at 12:32 pm

11. Thank you o all for visiting!
    Ronell