Flustered sketches

We had life drawing class yesterday. I had 20 minutes to kill before leaving for class and I fell asleep in the armchair. Fortunately my husband was home and woke me , surprised that I’m not at class. I grabbed my stuff, drove like a mad thing, all the time trying to register where I was and where I should be.

…the very first  one minute sketches, shaky and flustered….

… got highly frustrated at some stage…

….even charcoal couldn’t help….

….and finally after an hour, able to start tightening the loose screws in my head for the 15 minute poses…

….and ultimately finding the 30 minute-pose too long which resulted in unnecessary fiddling…

None of these sketches were reworked on at home.

Casey added her versions in the meantime….see here.

1. I love the last 3, especially the crouching one! Thanks for your encouragment to use pen and ink. I’m very inspired by the work you’ve done. x

December 6, 2007 at 4:12 pm

2. You handle these mediums so deftly, it’s a nice reminder that you too, get flustered and the lines aren’t always perfect. I love the crouching pose, beautifully drawn!

December 6, 2007 at 6:01 pm

3. Tonniece

Love, Love, Love, the last three sketches. And yes it is good to see that you too (not in a bad way) get flustered.
    There may still be some semblance of hope for me yet.

December 6, 2007 at 6:25 pm

4. Boy, when you tighten those screws, you really tighten them. Wonderful sketches!!

December 6, 2007 at 7:28 pm

5. sandy

Ok sleepy head I think you recovered nicely!

December 6, 2007 at 7:32 pm

Ronell, I LOVE thse sketches! The last 3 are fabulous with the bits of shading done in your painterly style — just incredible, Ronell! I LOVE THEM!

December 7, 2007 at 12:21 am

7. luci

I think the sketches are lovely. But, I do wish you a more pleasant lesson next time. And, may you wake up early so you can drive like an angel and arrive in good time. 😉

December 7, 2007 at 12:45 am

8. Don’t you just hate being miscombobbled. Once you got settled, I really like the 15 minute sketches. The small amout of washes gave them just the right touch.

December 7, 2007 at 2:38 am

9. I love your mark of frustration – it’s a line of beauty! Then you hit your stride and the results are great. That crouching pose is very nice indeed.

December 7, 2007 at 11:32 am

10. Bec

I enjoy seeing all your sketches…Your 15 minute sketches are wonderful!

December 7, 2007 at 8:21 pm

11. caseytoussaint

You didn’t appear flustered at all! These look great here, but I can assure everyone that they look a lot better in real life, especially the longer poses. Wonderful work, Ronell.

December 8, 2007 at 11:58 am

12. The 15 minute poses are sensational — confident, strong lines and delicate too. That’s what those warm ups are for, I guess.

December 9, 2007 at 8:02 am

13. Pingback: Life Drawing « rue Manuel bis

14. Oh wow, what a finish Ronell!!!

December 10, 2007 at 1:52 am

15. I like seeing the first ones and the last. I don’t think I could sit still long enough to do a 15 min pose. But I sure do envy your real live models. Mine are are all online. But at least I can’t every late ;D

December 10, 2007 at 3:22 am

16. These are beautiful Ronell, so fluid. I LOVE the frustration piece, I always walk away with a few of those myself! But once you’re warmed up, things get serious—very inspiring.

December 10, 2007 at 6:54 am

17. even for being flustered, these are beautifully drawing figures! That “human touch” of imperfect lines is very often more beautiful than something drawn “perfectly”. Great, great work 🙂

December 13, 2007 at 3:10 pm