Flustered sketches

We had life drawing class yesterday. I had 20 minutes to kill before leaving for class and I fell asleep in the armchair. Fortunately my husband was home and woke me , surprised that I’m not at class. I grabbed my stuff, drove like a mad thing, all the time trying to register where I was and where I should be.

…the very first  one minute sketches, shaky and flustered….

dsc_0007-5.jpg

… got highly frustrated at some stage…

dsc_0011-7.jpg

….even charcoal couldn’t help….

dsc_0013-4.jpg

….and finally after an hour, able to start tightening the loose screws in my head for the 15 minute poses…

dsc_0016-2.jpg

dsc_0018-4.jpg

dsc_0020-4.jpg

….and ultimately finding the 30 minute-pose too long which resulted in unnecessary fiddling…

None of these sketches were reworked on at home.

Casey added her versions in the meantime….see here.

1. I love the last 3, especially the crouching one! Thanks for your encouragment to use pen and ink. I’m very inspired by the work you’ve done. x

December 6, 2007 at 4:12 pm

2. You handle these mediums so deftly, it’s a nice reminder that you too, get flustered and the lines aren’t always perfect. I love the crouching pose, beautifully drawn!

December 6, 2007 at 6:01 pm

3. Tonniece

Love, Love, Love, the last three sketches. And yes it is good to see that you too (not in a bad way) get flustered.
    There may still be some semblance of hope for me yet.

December 6, 2007 at 6:25 pm

4. Boy, when you tighten those screws, you really tighten them. Wonderful sketches!!

December 6, 2007 at 7:28 pm

5. sandy

Ok sleepy head I think you recovered nicely!

December 6, 2007 at 7:32 pm

Ronell, I LOVE thse sketches! The last 3 are fabulous with the bits of shading done in your painterly style — just incredible, Ronell! I LOVE THEM!

December 7, 2007 at 12:21 am

7. luci

I think the sketches are lovely. But, I do wish you a more pleasant lesson next time. And, may you wake up early so you can drive like an angel and arrive in good time. 😉

December 7, 2007 at 12:45 am

8. Don’t you just hate being miscombobbled. Once you got settled, I really like the 15 minute sketches. The small amout of washes gave them just the right touch.

December 7, 2007 at 2:38 am

9. I love your mark of frustration – it’s a line of beauty! Then you hit your stride and the results are great. That crouching pose is very nice indeed.

December 7, 2007 at 11:32 am

10. Bec

I enjoy seeing all your sketches…Your 15 minute sketches are wonderful!

December 7, 2007 at 8:21 pm

11. caseytoussaint

You didn’t appear flustered at all! These look great here, but I can assure everyone that they look a lot better in real life, especially the longer poses. Wonderful work, Ronell.

December 8, 2007 at 11:58 am

12. The 15 minute poses are sensational — confident, strong lines and delicate too. That’s what those warm ups are for, I guess.

December 9, 2007 at 8:02 am

13. Pingback: Life Drawing « rue Manuel bis

14. Oh wow, what a finish Ronell!!!

December 10, 2007 at 1:52 am

15. I like seeing the first ones and the last. I don’t think I could sit still long enough to do a 15 min pose. But I sure do envy your real live models. Mine are are all online. But at least I can’t every late ;D

December 10, 2007 at 3:22 am

16. These are beautiful Ronell, so fluid. I LOVE the frustration piece, I always walk away with a few of those myself! But once you’re warmed up, things get serious—very inspiring.

December 10, 2007 at 6:54 am

17. even for being flustered, these are beautifully drawing figures! That “human touch” of imperfect lines is very often more beautiful than something drawn “perfectly”. Great, great work 🙂

December 13, 2007 at 3:10 pm