My atelier; a place of rituals.

Earlier this week, Sharon posted a beautiful art cabinet on her blog her husband made her and she wondered where everybody else paints. And so here I’m showing my atelier. Since I don’t post photo’s on Africantapestry, I present two sketches here that I did this morning and then I got tired. There is just too much detail and I took forever to decide what to sketch and how and how much – too many decisions for me. If you’re interested in seeing photographs of my atelier you can go to Myfrenchkitchen, where they are listed under “My atelier” on the sidebar.

Having this little space, which is my private little niche in the world, forces me to bend the knee before some daily rituals. I’ve come to enjoy them, look forward to doing them, meditate them. For most people it will simply be impractical schlepp. I love them. Lighting the fire every morning in the cold, wet winters…. cleaning the fireplace every morning in winter….waiting for the atelier to heat up, in the meantime fetching my coffee and the cats, opening and closing the vents for the heating, checking the humidity levels, chasing out unwelcome spiders. Even Hartman has to dance to the rythm of my atelier. He always has a stack of chopped wood ready for me in the cave and small pieces in my basket for starting the fire. He even lights the fire in the mornings – the deeper we move into winter, the more he misses his morning train, the more it becomes my ritual. Here in my place of rituals, life forces me to slow down. It’s a place where I am surrounded by memories of the past and inspirations for the future.  It is here where I dream and try to paint it. Write it. It is here where I allow all my multiple personalities to roam free. Unfortunately… we roam too much, dream too much and achieve too little.

Hartman transformed the old stable in the back of our garden into an atelier for me just a few steps of years ago. I helped of course…did all the designing and supervising! We restored the old beams, the walls, the old manger, the fireplace. Hartman installed heating (fed from the fireplace), plumbing for an old porcelain sink, electricity, high speed internet connection, overhead lighting, a bookshelf from an old ladder found in the cave. We dismantled a bedroom dresser of my mother and turned it into a cabinet holding the sink. A couch from Hartman’s parents, armchairs from his grandparents,  lamps, an easel, a farmtable, a little coffee table from my childhood……and I had my atelier; a place where everyting has a heartbeat of it’s own. A place of rituals.

_scan10104.JPG

_scan10105.JPG

1. That looks like such a cosy, welcoming, comfortable place! I’d never want to leave it. Beautifully painted, too.

October 17, 2007 at 7:09 pm

2. Ooh – these are wonderful Ronell! You’ve really captured the special atmosphere of your studio – which is so ‘you’. I can smell the wood in the fireplace….

October 17, 2007 at 7:28 pm

3. Talk about ‘A Room Of Her Own’! I’ve just seen the photos. I’m still having trouble breathing after viewing the beautiful striped bricks of the exterior! And how wonderfully warm and Ronell inside. You are a princess, you know. But it’s okay – you’re the Bloggers’ Princess. ox ox

October 17, 2007 at 7:56 pm

SUCH A COZY WARM place, Ronnell!!! How inviting!!!! I’d never leave! How fortunate for you!

October 17, 2007 at 10:21 pm

5. I agree with Dave! In fact, when I come to Amboise in a few weeks, I’m going to settle down, right there in your studio, and never budge. Forewarned is forearmed ;D.
    Just amazing, amazing, wonderful paintings!

October 17, 2007 at 11:49 pm

6. Beautiful painting for a beautiful place. No wonder you do such glorious work–you are in heaven!

October 18, 2007 at 3:44 am

7. sandyzeb

So beautiful, both the photos and the paintings.

sandy

October 18, 2007 at 6:58 pm

8. sandyzeb

Hi Ronell just realized my word press login is still up.. I’m sandy from http://dustyducktales.blogspot.com

I’m in the process of setting up a new blog here at word press cause I’m tired of blogger’s problems…

October 18, 2007 at 7:02 pm

9. I love these loose sketches! And your place sounds divine. It is my dream to have something very similar: some day…

October 18, 2007 at 7:30 pm

10. Tonniece

I am so envious Ronell. Your atelier looks wonderfully cozy and relaxing. As are your watercolors.
    And it’s nice also to have those special pieces to convert and reuse.
    Oh to dream.

October 19, 2007 at 5:48 am

11. hi Ronell, one day i hope to have an atelier just like yours! love the energy and radiant colors of the sketches

October 19, 2007 at 8:23 am

12. Thankyou for showing your special place and I love those drawings!

October 19, 2007 at 2:53 pm

13. This sounds like the most wonderful space to create in! I love the description of your morning ritual getting it cozy and ready to spend the day in.

October 19, 2007 at 4:07 pm

14. What a wonderful place. I love the sofa!

October 20, 2007 at 1:02 am

15. juj

oh, that sink! that wonderful, beautiful, glorious sink! lucky, lucky girl…

October 20, 2007 at 2:32 am

16. Truly a studio with character, Ronell! It’s so beautiful – the old brick, the subtle color of the walls. And how wonderful to be able to take a break and sit on that cozy little sofa, perhaps to visit with a friend while enjoying the warmth from the fireplace. Very charming and inviting! Thank you for posting the photos.
    And when I learn to paint as well as you do, I shall ask my husband to build me one…

October 20, 2007 at 6:55 pm

17. just stopping by to say hello and see what you’ve been up to. Great work! Had a wonderful afternoon with Robyn today..can’t wait for our get together as well…

October 20, 2007 at 8:17 pm

18. A beautifully written post, Ronell…..and your sketches and Atelier are beautiful too. I would so love a place just like that to create and paint in.

October 21, 2007 at 1:00 am

19. Lucky lucky you! Great post and lovely paintings.

October 21, 2007 at 4:22 pm

20. MD

Gorgeous Ronell…..and I’m afraid you’ve been tagged.
    You’ll find out all about it at http://doodleaddict.blogspot.com.
    Hope you don’t mind…Casey’s fault really, she tagged me! LOL

October 22, 2007 at 9:20 am

21. Adore, adore, adore these. So inviting. Just gorgeous.

November 11, 2007 at 11:33 pm