Copper and quince to feed the soul

I haven’t been doing much of anything lately. Here are two somewhat messy paintings. But that’s OK. Life does get a little messy sometimes. Out of that will come the order.

Copper pots and some quinces. There is one lost pomegranate which doesn’t really look like one. It is. I only treated it badly.

The rest of the quinces are waiting to be cleaned and sliced and slowly baked in a little water and sugar until beautiful dark red with a lovely thick syrup. Then put into sterilized can fruit bottles and savoured as accompaniments to meat or on their own with a dollop of crème fraîche. That(the cream version) will typically happen on days like I’m experiencing lately; feed my soul some goodness and lots of it…open up a jar of dark, red quinces in a comforting red sweet juice, bring out the crème fraîche, a spoon, get in front of the tv with the cats, lots of throws and a few very soppy, teary dvd’s….”Message in a bottle”…or the likes; I will definitely want to cry. Then I’ll just succumb and dig in.

_scan10102.JPG

_scan10101.JPG

WC on Fabriano HP and some pen lines on the bowl with fruit. (30,5 x 23cm)

1. sandyzeb

Well , let me be the first to say “fantastic”.

Enjoy your cozy day with movies.

sandy

October 13, 2007 at 8:53 pm

AWESOME!!! That copper shines and shines — and your quince are heavenly!!! They’re quite sour aren’t they? I’d love a taste of your recipe (and a dip into your wc methods too!) —!

October 13, 2007 at 10:32 pm

3. wow, wonderful paintings. That copper is awesome.

I hope you are going to paint more, I miss your wonderfully free and beautiful paintings.

October 13, 2007 at 10:53 pm

4. What’s the use of playing with watercolors if we can’t be messy!?! Both paintings are wonderful, and I especially like the copper.

October 13, 2007 at 11:24 pm

5. Ronell,

You achieve the most amazing reflective surfaces!! I would love to watch you do it – it’s such a mystery to me.

October 14, 2007 at 12:01 am

6. Oooh, I LOVE messy! These are really fantastic, as are your recent pieces! I’ve never had quince before, but you make it sound so good…. 😉

October 14, 2007 at 5:09 am

7. Oh Ronell — i guess these are “coings” (spelling?!) in French, right? Your painting of the copper pots brings warmth to my cold day.

October 14, 2007 at 5:11 am

8. While you are feeding your soul with luscious comfort food, I am feeding mine with your luscious paintings. It’s good to get messy; it makes pictures more interesting.

October 14, 2007 at 10:18 am

9. Oh ….. so beautiful. Both of them, but the quinces are gorgeous. lovely luscious colours and so sensuous.
    MD
    x

October 14, 2007 at 12:08 pm

10. Really beautiful colors and what you call messy, I call beautiful. Loose and expressive!

October 14, 2007 at 7:59 pm

11. Messy is very good I think. And the copper pots are very good indeed.

October 15, 2007 at 12:41 am

12. Ronell, this is again such a thoughtful blog entry,completed by your wonderful watercolours! Thank you for sharing!

October 15, 2007 at 10:15 am

13. janeywilde

Do you think it’s an autumn thing – a desire to feed ourselves, and store up the harvest ready for the long dark winter? I have it too – not the preserving, but the desire to cook more, to stock up, to be warm and comforted …

I like the green of the quinces and the way you’ve suggested their speckledness, and i think the red shadows work very well – brings the colours alive.

Thanks for your comments about my new blog – still finding my way around wordpress, but liking it.

October 15, 2007 at 10:43 am

14. Thank you for stopping by!

Lin..quince is quite sour. I remember eating it sliced raw with salt when I was a child.

France…yes, coing in french…I love the word, it rolls so nice in the mouth!

Sarah…yip, I suppose it is and autumn/winter thing. Like you say, more for comforting warmth than physical.

Thanks
    Ronell

October 15, 2007 at 11:39 am

15. If only I could be so messy! Like everyone else I think your copper pots are stunning. Your little creative rest has done you good. I’ve never tried raw quince with salt. Love quince jelly though and am hoping to preserve some myself in the next couple of weeks. What a lovely cosy post. Your word pictures are always delightful.

October 15, 2007 at 11:50 am

The cooper are great! I’m leaving today for Barcelona.

October 15, 2007 at 3:43 pm

17. caseytoussaint

These both came out beautifully, Ronell. I knew that copper one was going to be gorgeous!!

October 15, 2007 at 8:50 pm

18. Amazing work, Ronell!! I agree with all the others about your coppery, reflective surfaces. You’re a wizard painter!

October 15, 2007 at 10:18 pm

19. juj

These are just lovely Ronell – the way they shimmer, the colors, the loose brushwork…. fabulous.

October 16, 2007 at 1:56 am

20. I love the way you move the light around withyour watercolors!

October 16, 2007 at 4:15 am

21. Tonniece

Hope you feel more like yourself after you have this alone time.
    watercolors a fabulous

October 16, 2007 at 6:40 pm

22. These are such beautiful paintings, Ronell! I have to admit that I’ve never seen or eaten a quince (I’m so provincial). I had to look it up on the internet. In the photo I found, the quince looked a lot like a pear, as they do in your painting. Is that correct? I asked my daughter, the food editor, if she had ever tasted one and she laughed and told me she was in the process of writing an article about quince for her magazine and had spent the past week tasting every quince dish she could find in Portland. The article will include recipes, so I’ll have to give them a try, IF I can find a quince, that is. I don’t think they are commonly available here. Maybe at a farmers market. Anyway, thanks again for posting your beautiful work – I always love visiting your blog!

October 16, 2007 at 6:57 pm

23. I’ve never seen a quince before either, in all my years shopping I’ve never come across one. I must see if we have them here.
    But those copper colours! They really bring the metal to life.

October 17, 2007 at 12:16 pm

24. I have never seen or eaten a quince either. BUT, I do have a quince tree my husband started from seed. Now, I have found out you need 2 quince trees for them to cross pollinate. So we are ordering another one.

I love messy too. I like the looseness. You work is beautiful.

October 18, 2007 at 9:21 pm

25. I’ve never seen or eaten quince either but you certainly make them sound delectable, Ronell. I LOVE your work and those copper pots are amazing!!

October 21, 2007 at 12:23 am