Art afternoon with Casey

We had art afternoon yesterday – catching up, drinking coffee, eating “organic” cookies, solving all problems; political and religious, laughing at weird people, laughing harder at ourselves, ending in the kitchen with a cup of rooibosch tea, then Casey took off in her brandnew ecofriendly car and I was just plain lazy.  Good news was, I didn’t have to fuss about dinner! Since Hartman went back to SC for the whole month of October, I’m off the hook. I got a good tip from Marta, so I stocked up on cereal this morning. I now have dinner until the end of October.

Some garden drawings and sketches I did yesterday afternoon with Casey…see the wonderful sketches she did…”a la Casey”. (I’m not sure she has posted them yet, but I hope this will push her to put them up,  they are so good!)

Fountain…this is my pride in my garden, the gargoyle originates from the 10th century, from the chateau de Chauvigny, and Hartman turned it into a fountain as a birthday gift for me… how lackluster would my life be without him…;  WC and pen on Fabriano HP, 23 x 30,5 cm (9 x 12″)

gargoyle.JPG

Urn in the herb garden; graphite in moleskine

The last apple on the Espalier; graphite and sepia in moleskine.

1. caseytoussaint

These look great, Ronell – and thanks for such a wonderful afternoon!

September 26, 2007 at 6:51 pm

2. Great and a lot of work. Love this last watercolor in sepia.
    Ill be back to enjoy the rest.

September 26, 2007 at 9:46 pm

3. Ronell, These are so wonderful! I really like the fountain and the lone apple. Hooray, Hooray! Ginger and I leave for Paris tomorrow. We will be arriving on the morning of the 28th. We will try calling you soon. Deborah

September 26, 2007 at 11:31 pm

4. How wonderful to have such a historical piece in your garden, Ronell! You’ve rendered the fountain beautifully as you have also done with the urn and apple. 🙂

September 27, 2007 at 1:01 am

5. It sounds like you have the perfect life! The drawings and paintings are very beautiful, I love how you depicted the water in the top painting.

September 27, 2007 at 1:59 am

6. It looks like you are happily settled back in – these are beautiful paintings and drawings of your beloved garden. You’ve really got that water spouting from the fountain – very difficult to do in watercolour.

September 27, 2007 at 10:06 am

7. Your gargoyle is a treasure, Ronell and beautifully painted. I love the loose, fluid purity of your brushwork. I despair of every being able to achieve that. I’m very jealous of your espalier apple tree – I started training a ‘peach’ only to have it turn out to be a Forsythia 😦 Yours looks gorgeous in the sepia.

Do I understand that you are planning to eat cereal the whole month Hartman is away?! You’ll be stripped of your French Kitchen title 😉

September 27, 2007 at 1:06 pm

8. Tonniece

Your garden looks and sound like a little patch of heaven on earth with a endless and ever changing bounty of treasures.
    And as always, you never fail to please. Love your wonderful style Ronell.

September 27, 2007 at 3:02 pm

9. these are very nice. I like the top one best, all your watercolors are nice, the looseness is apealing.

September 27, 2007 at 3:03 pm

10. Ronell, your garden sketches are so lovely! I imagine you are enjoying your garden even more than usual after being away for so long. Feel free to use all the time you are saving by not cooking to create more sketches to share with us! 🙂

September 27, 2007 at 3:25 pm

11. christeenswan

Time sketching in your garden with Casey is obviously time VERY well spent! Sounds like you two had a wonderful time- your drawing & paintings from that visit are delightful. I really enjoy them all, but your sepia painting is really capturing my imagination. Enjoy your cereal!

September 27, 2007 at 4:07 pm

12. Thank you for visiting!
    Deborah…hope to see you in Paris soon!!
    Robyn, you had me laughing with your nurturing of a peach which turned out to be a forsythia…very little flowers I don’t like, but the forsythia is one I really don’t like.
    Hie hie..I already had so much cereal, I can’t face having more, so I guess I’ll move onto some real food!
    Ronell

September 27, 2007 at 4:20 pm

13. juj

So fun to see yours and Casey’s different takes on the same subjects – both simply marvelous I might add. You two are so lucky to have this to share.

September 27, 2007 at 7:13 pm

14. Wow! That fountain is amazing. And I love the briefcase, now open for art again. Always a pleasure to visit your blog, Ronell.

September 27, 2007 at 8:19 pm

15. BTW, I think you and Casey should have someone videotape you at work and post it on YouTube. It would be fun to see how you both produce these lovely, loose paintings!

September 27, 2007 at 8:21 pm

16. Bec

Sounds like you both had a wonderful afternoon! I always enjoy seeing your work…VERy hard to pick a favorite…. but, I think I’ll go with the apple espalier, I love the variation between lights and shadows.

September 27, 2007 at 8:31 pm

17. How glad you must be to be back, making art with Casey! These have that energetic juiciness that I always love about your work!

September 28, 2007 at 1:51 am

18. I am particularly drawn to the sepia. What an afternoon you two must have had.

September 28, 2007 at 3:19 am

19. I thought I had moved your blog over to my blog lines!! I found out abotu this post from Casey! Lovely job and welcome home.

September 28, 2007 at 4:28 am

20. i love seeing the same object from different peoples viewpoints. looking at yours and Casey’s has been a treat.

September 28, 2007 at 6:16 am

21. Thanks for the kind comments everyone!
    Sharon – to have me filmed while I work, would be to scare everybody away from art..hie hie. I’m so chaotic, disorganized, clumsy, messy…it is actually a spectacle!
    Ronell

September 28, 2007 at 10:15 am

22. Hi Ronell,
    you did a wonderful job on these sketches! I like them very much! Your loose style is so fantastic! (The flower sketches are brilliant, too!)

September 28, 2007 at 2:09 pm

OH MY GOODNESS!! These are SPECTACULAR!!! Ronell, your garden looks like a paradise!!!!! wowowowow!

September 28, 2007 at 2:10 pm

24. tout c’est tres jolie!!! Oh my favorite is the fountain and I am so jealous!!!! I’ll have to tell Rudy that Hartman gave you a tenth century fountain….what do I get? LOL.
    Last night was Raisin Bran with organic non fat milk…the night before: Cherrios and bananas…..but he’s home today so we’ll be eating a real dinner! Oh, Corn Flakes and strawberries or peaches are yummy too!
    These sketches are fabulous and like Casey’s I can see the happiness of once again spending time with your friend and the pleasure of it all!
    I am so excited about the 3 of us getting together!

September 28, 2007 at 6:36 pm

25. These are beautiful sketches. Your garden must be a beautiful, peaceful haven. That gargoyle is awesome.

December 3, 2007 at 3:56 am