Sketching in Vouvray

Well, never too late to be back…or something like that…

I went sketching just in time yesterday. It was beautful and sunny with clear skies and warm. to suddenly fall upon today where we have one of the coldest days I have experienced so far this winter..we have the blue skies, but icy icy cold with a wind that slices us relentlessly in juliennes!

After a long time of no sketching, I found myself back in that corner where I fixate on detail and try to put too much on to the paper. So my objective for the next few weeks will be to get back into only capturing the necessary, sketch faster and not worry about doing it right!

It is good to be back…!

…vouvray 1

So, Yesterday. I stopped across the river Loire at Vouvray, a quaint village with houses set into the cliffs next to the Loire. Parking my car in the sun, flinging open the door, basking in the warmth of the sun, I did these two sketches at the same spot. Just moving my focus on with the road. With the first sketch, Vouvray 1,  I used my new bottle of black  ink to draw with, not realizing I bought water soluble ink. So when I washed with the watercolour, all the ink just flooded all over. With the second sketch, Vouvray 2,  I just fell back on my rotring tikkky graphich pen to draw with and then added my wash of water color.

…vouvray 2 – further down rue du petit coteau..

Both sketches in pen and watercolor in watercolor sketchbook, 15,3 x 25cm.

Good to have you back, Ronell. Love the sketches and am looking forward to more. Grand that you managed to sketch despite the cold– brave Ronell.

annie

March 7, 2010 at 6:43 pm

2. judybecklobos

Yeah Ronell!!! So happy to see you back sketching and posting. These look wonderful — keep doing– I feel the sun in your paintings — it feels so great this time of year.

March 7, 2010 at 8:01 pm

The second one I can see where you were I left the car over there when I’ve been there.

I love both your drawings but particularly I like to see you again at the blog.

March 7, 2010 at 8:31 pm

4. Beautiful Ronell! And on Friday we saw Hartman for a quick coffee… wish you could be here too. Cecily

March 7, 2010 at 9:08 pm

5. Beautiful watercolor paintings Ronell!!

March 7, 2010 at 9:57 pm

6. sue

Ooooh, as always a treat to see what you’ve been up to and your images here are a joy. Keep it up! They’re beautiful. Incidentally, I kind of like the inky effect on the first one.

March 7, 2010 at 9:57 pm

7. Wonderfull, Ronell! I love these sketches, waterproof ink or not! 🙂

March 7, 2010 at 11:09 pm

8. Love Vouvray 1

Great phrase ‘a wind that slices us relentlessly in juliennes!

March 7, 2010 at 11:36 pm

9. Nice 🙂 glad to see you back as I’m new to your site.

March 7, 2010 at 11:49 pm

10. Nice to have you back Ronell! Wonderful sketches – I like them both and am looking forward to more in the coming weeks.

March 7, 2010 at 11:22 pm

11. It’s good to see you and your great sketches back here! Your weather sounds like Chicago. It’s the little teases of spring that get me through the tail end of winter.

March 8, 2010 at 1:14 am

12. Pat

Both beautiful. Wish I was there painting with you. I am so ready for the warmth of the sun.

March 8, 2010 at 3:12 am

13. I had actually checked you on my blogroll recently and wondered where you were. So glad to see your lovely drawings again.
    Cheers,
    Erin

March 8, 2010 at 8:13 am

14. Welcome back Ronell – so good to see these lovely French sketches. I agree the floody ink doesn’t matter at all, its still great!

March 8, 2010 at 8:15 am

15. We have that rotten wind here too, Ronell. Will Spring never arrive?!

I don’t see any hint of lack of practice in these sketches – beautiful, and I’m always partial to a bit of ink running into the watercolour.

March 8, 2010 at 4:59 pm

16. So good to see you sketching again. I love sketches of rooftops and villages and these are fabulous.

March 8, 2010 at 11:09 pm

17. caseytoussaint

Lovely work, Ronell. I’m glad to see that you’ve been enjoying the Spring weather.

March 10, 2010 at 1:07 pm

18. It’s so good to see you back… well to see your sketches at least!! 😉
    I love your sketches!
    and the new banner too!

Welcome back!

March 10, 2010 at 7:18 pm

19. Both of these are great!!! I personally like the way the water soluble ink looks. It gives the sketch a rustic look. I had to laugh when you said you were sketching from the car. I do that so often…it even works when it is raining out. Thanks for giving me a little Loire Valley treat. I miss sketching there.

March 18, 2010 at 4:52 pm