Sketching equipment

I decided to update all my sketching equipment. To renew a bit. There is nothing like a bit of fresh air.

…sketching stool and bag in one…

sketching bag and stool 3

…closed up…

sketching bag and stool 2

I came across this little fishing stool and bag, which only cost 13 euros and works PERFECTLY. It can be carried by hand or as a backpack an your bag fits right next to you with everything right there at hand. Nothing falling over in the mud or calming it between you feet, and you can have your bag to you left or right.  There ar two compartments on the sides and two on the front and it can carry large sketchbooks.  It carries  high enough on the back, not to put strain on my lower back and all is waterproof. I’ve sketched in the mud arrived at home and gave it a wipe and the underneath of the bag was clean. There are even more fancy bags, but they cost a fancier price as well. To me, this is a perfect sketching “outfit” – ligthweight a bag and stool in one, econimical and functional.

I bought it a Decathlon, a big sports store here in France. It is also available on some fishing equipment sites on internet, but not at that price. I would suggest you visit some fishing stores close by, or google fishing bag and stool.

Some sketches – done in pen, graphite  and watercolour in sketchbook.

…strolling by the Loire…

au bord de la loire

…la loire filling up puddles……

loire puddle0001

…le sentier…

un chemin de la loire 2

1. Always fun to stop by your blog. Your sketches are so free and fresh. Thanks for sharing them.

November 13, 2009 at 3:58 pm

2. sue

That does look like a good setup, Ronell–and if these beauties were created on it, then you’ve sold me on it!

November 13, 2009 at 5:23 pm

3. I love your puddles. It is not easy to do something like that.
    Did you get your stool on the web by any chances?? It seems perfect!

November 13, 2009 at 5:58 pm

4. Thanks!

Napabelle…thanks for asking…I fogot to add the links etc, so I updated the site, with a reference to a website.
    Ronelle

November 13, 2009 at 6:30 pm

Ah, Ronell… I love all these sketches, but especially la Loire filling up puddles and the wet foliage beside them. And I always love your buildings–shadows and rough textures…

I found a mini-version of your stool in our local grocery store during hunting season. The bag is part of the under seat and is not much bigger than a fanny pack, but it will hold several items that are only 6 inches by 4 inches, OR one 5-inch by 7-inch sketchbook and a small sketch kit. It has a a shoulder strap. USA $16… I am amazed that you can haul a bag that size into beckoning landscapes. I feel quite wimpy with my own, just going into the back yard.
    annie

November 14, 2009 at 12:54 am

Great! Just envying the stool and the Loire!

November 14, 2009 at 5:15 pm

7. dinahmow

I’ve seen people with similar set-ups – a few months ago a photographer was at the Botanic Gardens and had his lenses,etc in an angler’s bag. It’s a smart idea.

November 14, 2009 at 9:44 pm

8. No doubt that stool contributed to the relaxed feel of all these beauties! I’m going to check this out. Nice post!

November 16, 2009 at 2:48 am

9. judybecklobos

Love seeing your set up and equipment ronell!!
    great sketches –beautiful depth in that last sketch…

November 16, 2009 at 4:44 am

10. I absolutely looooove your last one!!!!!!
    and thanks for the tip (stool + bag), I’m going to subtly talk about it to my hubby. Maybe he’ll get my hint, he never knows what to offer me!!

November 16, 2009 at 11:40 am

11. Love your village painting – wonderful simplification and such a terrific suggestion of sunlight!

November 16, 2009 at 2:26 pm

12. What a good idea to post this. I too use a stool but it’s not attached to my backpack. I got mine for just a few dollars at REI which is ‘the’ place for sport/recreation equipment on my side of the country. Maybe I’ll try to get a snapshot of my set up for all to see too!
    Your sketchercise sketches are fabulous!!!

November 16, 2009 at 6:32 pm

13. I’ve been checking these links. The one you have is not for sale on-line. There is one close to it, but in the UK and they won’t ship US. The others I have found on-line in the US, do not come close to the quality and the price you have. Lucky girl! I guess I’ll have to wait for another trip to France!! 🙂

November 17, 2009 at 3:27 am

14. Love the setup and your sketches! Very nice!

November 19, 2009 at 5:46 am

15. You look like you’re definitely ready for plein air painting!!! I like your Loire sketches below, especially after having visited and painted in the area back in October. We stayed in Amboise. You are lucky to be in such an inspiring area!

November 19, 2009 at 6:30 pm

16. Monkey see monkey do,,,,I just bought one of these on ebay. They are hard to find in the US. Can’t wait!

November 19, 2009 at 11:40 pm

17. I love how your delicate line plays with the bold color!

November 22, 2009 at 9:45 pm

18. thank you everybody!!
    Ronell

November 23, 2009 at 6:42 pm

19. OOoh, what a delightful series of images here! It makes me want to visit Paris immediately.

November 24, 2009 at 4:09 am

20. I really enjoyed feasting my eyes on your latest sketches, Ronnel.

November 30, 2009 at 12:52 pm

21. Ronell:)

November 30, 2009 at 12:53 pm

22. Your sketches are very beautiful but i like your trees and road painting very much.

June 14, 2010 at 1:20 pm