South Africa chronicles 1- Fynbos.

Being in slow motion and double speed at the same time is simply tough. My body is with me back here in France, at home, and moving at double time, inspired to get things done and make changes and take on projects, looking good after being sunkissed and feeling good after all the eating?? and yet, it still remains familiar in the mirror. My spirit is still roaming somewhere in the southern hemisphere, not willing to let go of the long summer days, the lingering evenings, the dew filled mornings, the sound of breaking waves, the call of the cows to their calves, the unquiet silence of breathings in the bush. Not that it is bad being home. It is just getting mind and body to function as one again. In the present. Remembering yesterday, but living today.

The Cape is home to an estimated 7000 species of Cape fynbos of which I only know a handful. The sketches below are not even a glimpse of what there is….life got to too much fun and stopping for a sketch got to too hard – too many friends, too much to do, too little time to sketch. The few sketches that I did manage to get my hand on, were all done in my sketchbook, 19x25cm, with pen and watercolor.

The oak tree is not indigenous, but is synonym with Stellenbosch where they tower in all their majesty and grace. When we lived there years ago, I would frequently walk to town to do my shopping and would bring home an acorn every time. When we left for the UK, I sadly had to let go of many years’ collection of acorns… And of course the Aloe, well known for its health properties.

fynbos1.jpg

The protea, our national flower and one of my alltime favorite flowers/shrubs and the graceful Agapanthus, plentiful in every garden.

fynbos2.jpg

And then there is the widespread Felicias growing on the coasts, with their small blue flowers, succulents like Tertragonias with their thick glistening leaves, and hyobanches, tinted in deep reds and browns, the abundant Delosperma. And we had our own table by the shore among the flora on the sandshores, where we would sit with a coffee every morning, just taking in every thing that our eye could capture and where the view was never the same.

fynbos3.jpg

A view on a sunny day….

see1.jpg

and a view on a rainy day. Pencil, black and grey watercolor wash.

see2.jpg

….to be contiuned.

ABSOLUTELY DELIGHTFUL!!! Informative, splashy, filled with vitality and brilliance!!!!! WELCOME WELCOME HOME!! You and y our fabulous art have been sorely missed!!!!

March 10, 2008 at 5:45 pm

2. So good to have you back, I’ve missed you!
    Great sketches.

March 10, 2008 at 6:02 pm

3. How I’ve missed your wonderful artwork! And these are just priceless! There’s something different about them, too— your love for your native land is really apparent in them. I hope to see you in a few days!
    Xoxo,
    L

March 10, 2008 at 6:09 pm

4. sandy

Welcome home, we missed your contact. Such Lovely sketches and accounts and I look forward to MORE!!

March 10, 2008 at 6:16 pm

5. bec

Beautiful to see all the plants! I just adore protea and agapanthus — Welcome home!

March 10, 2008 at 6:37 pm

6. You’re back! Thanks for the beautiful sun-drenched sketches (ok, except the last one). We need some of that around here as you’ve certainly noticed.

March 10, 2008 at 6:47 pm

7. I recognise the Protea and Agapanthus and I think, the Aloe, but the rest are all beautiful aliens to me. Your sketches, apart from being beautiful and skillful, ares wonderfully full of sunshine – I can warm my hands by them.

Of for a table on the shore. And a slight suntan would be nice too. Lucky girl, and lucky us to have you back!

I just heard my mail ping and I see you’ve been commenting on my blog while I’ve been commenting on yours. It happened with Laura today too. Isn’t that lovely almost like being in the same place.

March 10, 2008 at 7:54 pm

8. Welcome back! You and your sketches have been missed! I’m eagerly awaiting more of your sketches from your travels.

March 10, 2008 at 8:18 pm

9. Its been a while. Good stuff.

March 10, 2008 at 8:53 pm

10. Welcome back! YOu have wonderful paintings, Im sure you enjoyed your trip. How awesome to visit such a rich place and be able to capture its beauty in your artwork

March 10, 2008 at 11:10 pm

11. Welcome back Ronell!! I missed you. I love your lively sketches. I won’t dwell on my feelings about your having gone some where WARM. It snowed today here in Chicago!!! In your words “ZUT!”

March 10, 2008 at 11:15 pm

12. Ronell, it’s so nice to have you and your lovely artwork back. You were missed, but I’m glad to hear you had a wonderful vacation.

March 11, 2008 at 12:22 am

13. I’m so glad you’re back. Ronell!! What a lovely assortment of sketches too…..can’t wait to see more. I missed you!

March 11, 2008 at 3:54 am

14. I can’t tell you how many times I checked your blog to see if you were back. . . and HERE YOU ARE!! Yipee!! Obviously you were missed by others as well — and they beat me to welcoming you home. So happy to see your wonderful art again and hear about your trip!! More, more, more!!!

March 11, 2008 at 4:40 am

15. Great to have you back. I always enjoy visiting your blog.

Christine

March 11, 2008 at 1:32 pm

Welcome back! I am back too from London.

I’ll come for the all story. Love the sketches.

March 11, 2008 at 1:37 pm

17. Bill Sharp

If you can’t travel, travel vicariously through sketchbooks. I feel like I’ve been on vacation. Thanks for sharing your beautiful paintings and observations. I even enjoyed the rain.

March 15, 2008 at 4:52 pm

18. I certainly know that feeling of body in one place; head in another place. Wonderful to see your work.

March 18, 2008 at 9:26 pm