Figure sketches

We had our “rentree” of figure drwing class this past week. After not doing any life drawing for about 5 months, I felt rusty and slow and struggled to gather my focus. There was quite a bit of talking going on, I would like it to be more work and less talk. I was hesitant to post these, since they feel so without emotion, so lifeless and rigid, but then I remembered…it isn’t about perfection!

See Casey’s drawings from the same class.

Have a  look a Susan’s creative figure sketches, especially her “figure extravaganza ” and “muse of the vineyards”. I wish I could be next to her in life class.

Moving from 2 minute sketches, to 5 minutes and then to 15 minutes. All done on paper with vine charcoal.

dsc_0009-3.jpg

dsc_0012-5.jpg

dsc_0011-6.jpg

dsc_0008-9.jpg

1. Sarah

I don’t think these are quite so lifeless and rigid as you do – especially if you haven’t done any life drawing for 5 months and people were talking – for which crime they deserve to be banned (Extreme I know, but it disturbs others and it’s exceptionally rude when you have a person posing nude for your benefit, imo). Now I’ll climb off my soapbox.

November 11, 2007 at 12:18 pm

2. RONELL! SNAP OUT OF IT!
    Sorry, needed to do that.

It is said ‘Create with your heart, it shows’
    …It would seem your heart is alot stronger than your mind because it was ticking along there in the background without you even noticing.
    These are wonderful, emotive and sensuous….They describe your heart perfectly! 😉

November 11, 2007 at 1:40 pm

3. Beautiful – and I agree very expressive. I’m so glad that you decided to share these with all of us!

November 11, 2007 at 2:06 pm

4. Well, yes, I love these too! Beautiful, and delicately done. I wish I could have rusty days this good!

November 11, 2007 at 5:59 pm

5. these are great! like carole says i’d love to be as good when i start after a break!

November 11, 2007 at 6:09 pm

6. You are such a talent Ms Ronell! They are awesome to me, who never gets to sketch figures, and I reckon they are pretty damn good even to a practised eye. If you keep posting, this life class of yours is going to be a treat for all of us. The second and the last are particularly lovely.

November 11, 2007 at 8:12 pm

7. It don´t look rusty to me… beautiful life drawings, I like them a lot. Keep them coming! 🙂

November 11, 2007 at 8:18 pm

8. I can’t believe it has been so long since my last visit. I feel embarassed. It should be compulsary to visit your blog every day! Every time I do visit I’m stunned by the gorgeous work you produce Ronnell. You really have something special going on.

November 11, 2007 at 11:38 pm

9. I think by the time you got to the last drawing, you totally had your groove back, Ronell. Beautiful.

November 12, 2007 at 3:21 am

10. These are just wonderful, I can’t believe you think you are rusty. Life drawing is this Thursday and its been a few months for me too, I know I will feel the same. I hope my sketches turn out half as good. My favorites are the second and last also. I think I like the back side of figures, they have very pleasing lines and those sketches give enough information without telling the whole story.

November 12, 2007 at 1:45 pm

11. I like the fluid marks you made. I feel as though I’m starting from the beginning when I’ve only missed a week let alone 5 months!

November 12, 2007 at 5:04 pm

12. caseytoussaint

I think these look wonderful, Ronell, especially the last one. It was a tough class – I think we were all a bit out of step.

November 12, 2007 at 6:20 pm

13. Lovely lyrical lines! Who said they have no emotion!!!

November 12, 2007 at 6:28 pm

14. i see them very delicate, soft, like drawn on velvet. The one I like the most is the 4th. figure, the sitting pose. Great work.

November 13, 2007 at 1:23 am

15. Maybe the first one is a bit rigid, but not the other ones, they are lovely! I wish I could draw like that from a moving model. Never tried it, apart from my efforts at drawing my own children. Anyway, I know how tough it is…

November 14, 2007 at 2:13 am

16. They are very delicate and soft….beautiful. I am going to the monthly figure session tomorrow at the museum…I’ve missed the last two due to traveling. I think I am’inspired’ to take some vine charcoal as well…..I’m afraid I will feel rusty as well…

November 14, 2007 at 6:41 pm

17. Some fantastic lines there. I like what you have done, some drama combined with delicacy.
    MD

November 15, 2007 at 12:19 am

18. I am always amazed to see sketches being done so fast — i rarely do — but your results are very appealing, Ronell.

November 15, 2007 at 12:48 am

19. Tonniece

I missed visiting here ( not feeling that great Lately), BUT, I’m thrilled I got here now.
    Ronell, these are beautiful. I don’t think they are stiff at all, by any stretch of the imagination.

November 16, 2007 at 1:01 am

20. Beautiful, the lines are so soft, no rust there.

November 16, 2007 at 3:05 am

21. You have a lovely touch with these figure drawings. The woman looks very real and like someone with a heart and soul, not just a body. Beautiful work!

November 16, 2007 at 7:21 am

Gorgeous for so little time! The second one is so appeal to my eyes.

November 16, 2007 at 7:34 pm

23. Bec

Your figure sketches are very nicely done and show stick-to-it-ness. (is that a word?? –hope you get my meaning…)
    I know what you mean about talking during the session–I tend to like it quieter too. Lately I’ve felt tight when I first begin…. guess we just have to plow ahead and practice ,practice, practice!

November 16, 2007 at 9:00 pm

24. Don’t be so hard on yourself, Ronell. These are lovely ~ 🙂

November 16, 2007 at 11:53 pm

25. I really, really love the lines of the second one down. It’s a beautiful pose and you’ve captured it so eloquently!

November 19, 2007 at 12:11 am

26. I just popped in to say hello. Hope you ar ewell

November 20, 2007 at 4:21 pm

27. Ronell, I like your figure sketches. The lines are fluid and expressive. 🙂

November 20, 2007 at 6:03 pm

28. Great works

November 21, 2007 at 10:17 pm

29. E-J

There are some lovely curves here … not lifeless at all … Life drawing is HARD after a break. In fact, it’s hard anyway. Nice to visit your blog again!

November 22, 2007 at 11:34 am

30. thank you for all your support, I appreciate it!
    ronell