Sketches of a rock garden

I’ve started my garden at Coin Perdu. We are still working on the house, so I am limited to where I can garden for the moment. A rock garden close by the barn we’re living in for the moment works good. It also serves as a little lay in garden where plants can with for their permanent place in the garden. It was hard work, since it is a little grass covered hill that I had to dig out, remove the grass, lay down big bolders, fill with rocks, treat the soil, add compost and all necessary, leave it to settle and then plant some plants.  It still needs work, but for now it is filled with plants loving sun and rocky corners and it has steps that lead up to a little corner on the hill where a bench waits patiently for someone to sit and admire my handiwork…? It is adjacent to the old pigsty, that will soon become my laundry room and the bench will be a welcome repose from all the washing that needs attention on a farm!

The top sketch is of bags with compost and soil and stuff(I don’ t have my own yet!) and some plants from the pepinier(I don’t have my own  hothouse yet!). the second sketch is the rock garden, just competed this morning.

1. Lovely sketch Ronell and wow! what a lot of work, but it is definitely going to be worth it. I just love rock gardens!

April 16, 2010 at 2:25 pm

I agree with Maree, a lovely sketch and I love rock gardens, too… However, I never put in all those muscles into one.
    annie

April 16, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Lovely.

April 16, 2010 at 4:16 pm

4. This looks like a wonderful spot for a garden!!! I’m so glad you’ve got a bench there. When I come travel to France again, can I come visit and paint?

April 16, 2010 at 5:24 pm

5. Beautiful, these sketches perfectly capture the spirit of the moment. I can almost smell turned earth.

April 16, 2010 at 8:11 pm

6. You are doing a fabulous job:)

I envy you..I do..

Energy.. a beautiful project..and your artistic gift..and talent..I am happy to know you.

April 16, 2010 at 10:51 pm

7. Ahhhh, I can feel the hard but rewarding work. You will love sitting on that seat admiring the results. The garden is so rewarding.
    Cheers,
    Erin

April 16, 2010 at 10:55 pm

8. This effort will reward you with such natural beauty over time. I love the sketches and will watch for more as the rock garden matures.

April 16, 2010 at 11:37 pm

9. It’s great to see these sketches of your garden project. I don’t know how you find the time to garden, sketch, cook AND blog!

April 18, 2010 at 5:01 pm

10. I love the sketch of the rock garden Ronell….great job….on digging and building the garden and also the water color sketches!

April 18, 2010 at 10:48 pm

11. Pam

I love your splashed of color.

April 19, 2010 at 2:01 am

12. Ronell,

I agree with the others, how do you find the time to do it ALL! …and so WELL!

It looks like you had a nice time away – and got lots accomplished!!

Wonderful sketches.

xx~Dana

April 19, 2010 at 4:30 am

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 752 other followers