Vegetables

My muse had left me and I’m stuck out in the cold. I made an effort with some vegetables I had close by.

Radishes in watercolour on Saunders Waterford HP, 30x23cm.

radish.jpg

Tomatoes on the vine, watercolour on Fabriano CP, 18x26cm.

tomatoes0001.jpg

I have SO MISSED your painterly, awesomely done paintings!!! SO GOOD to see these fresh, luscious, LUMINOUS paintings!!! MORE MORE! Hope all is going well!

January 18, 2008 at 3:34 pm

2. Well, of course, if THESE are your muse having left you, I, for one, would trade places with you! So rich, so sparkling, so lively.

January 18, 2008 at 3:35 pm

3. Love the colours in these, especially the tomatoes. And I do love that sploshy style (there’s probably a nicer way of putting it, but it’s just so luscious if you know what I mean!)

The message is clear, I think. When in doubt, paint food!

January 18, 2008 at 4:40 pm

4. YES! What Laura said! Those tomatoes are stunning, Ronell. They should go into the exhibition.

I blame these grey days for the departure of our muses – I think they take off for sunny shores. A couple of hours of sun today and I found myself happily working again.

And as Lin says, I miss it very much when you aren’t posting.

January 18, 2008 at 5:10 pm

Redishes are supra! I like the transparency and the softness of the brush although the intense hue of the color. If the muse is gone and you do such a work I don’t want to have any muse ;)

January 18, 2008 at 5:47 pm

6. I love the looseness of your paintings! It’s something I strive for and can never seem to make. Hope your muse returns soon. Hate it when mine goes missing…

January 18, 2008 at 5:50 pm

7. Simply stunning! Your muse has left you? I’ll boot mine if it means I can paint like this :)

January 18, 2008 at 7:01 pm

8. Ronell, these are wonderful. I LOVE the tomotoes!! The splash of color behind them is great.

January 18, 2008 at 7:12 pm

9. Bonny

Hi Ronell;

So nice to have you back! Your paintings are wonderful!

Do you have a preference to using HP or CP and why? I notice a definite difference in texture between these two paintings and I was wondering which you prefer.

Still doing my watercolour classes, which is one way to keep from being bogged down. You HAVE to show up! We use Arches 140# CP. Don’t think I’ve ever tried HP paper before. That’s why I’m asking for your opinion. You have experience using both it seems.

Thanks!

Bonny

January 18, 2008 at 11:03 pm

10. Your muse is probably nervous about the show, you will do great and your muse will reappear. I think I would have to agree that your paintings don’t reflect any missing parts! Love your blog so much, its fun, witty and so inspiring! Psst….her birthday is Monday FYI. The cats out of the bag now and we know how much she dislikes cats!

January 18, 2008 at 11:11 pm

11. I LOVE your radish painting. This would be beautiful hanging in a dining room or kitchen. Beautiful loose flowing colors.

January 18, 2008 at 11:44 pm

12. It’s pretty cool that you have fresh tomatoes in the middle of January. I love your loose paintings. I wish I could train myself paint in a style like that.

January 18, 2008 at 11:45 pm

13. Excellent, Ronell! Especially the tomatoes!…And the radishes remind me of mine; almost forgotten in my refrigerator!- I think, I have to throw them away, they are already too ugly to be painted;-))

January 19, 2008 at 12:05 am

14. Beautiful colors and wonderfully loose painting!

January 19, 2008 at 12:21 am

15. Bec

RONELL!! These are WONDERFUL!!! I love! your colors and how you’ve drawn the frame line around the edge.

January 19, 2008 at 1:08 am

16. Nice stuff! LOVE the radishes! I hope you’ll take it as a compliment if I compare you to Siobhan Donoghue, the London artist who specializes in food maps.

You can check out her stuff here: http://www.portfolios.com/zoom.html?User_number=siodo&imagecount=7

January 19, 2008 at 3:24 am

17. I could make love to those tomatoes. They ooze of lust and desire…..humm. The muse is back isn’t he? LOL!
    Ronell, what blue is that in the tomato painting? It’s just lovely. I really like the loose quality of the tomatoes in contrast to the cast shadows which ground the fruit….I wish I could see the original!

January 19, 2008 at 3:50 am

18. The muse is back with a vengance! These are so wonderful-as only you can do. Good to see you back.

January 19, 2008 at 5:35 am

19. juj

It’s wonderful to see that even when the muse abandons you creativity prevails. I love the cold colors of the tomatoes – that particular blue and red are so delicious together – and it’s such a nice change of pace from the typical yellowey-orange red, perfectly suited for this time of year. I especially like their placement in the composition, and the way the vines extend past the frame. Really lovely Ronell.

January 19, 2008 at 8:01 pm

20. Wow! You’re quite brilliant and fabulous on your own! Who needs the muse when you can make tomatoes look like jewels!

January 21, 2008 at 8:19 am

21. Bill Sharp

Beautiful, Ronell. Rich and lucious color. I especially like the shadows of the radishes.

January 22, 2008 at 5:28 am

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 735 other followers